Friday, July 15, 2005

This is not what I expected . . .

. . . when I opened my blog this morning. Why is my sidebar so far down?

Damn, I need a drink.

Except that I'd now have to climb all the way down to my sidebar to get one . . .

But seriously, folks, does anybody know what's wrong with my sidebar? I inquired of a fellow blogger using blogspot and experiencing the same problem, and here's what that Basshole Gar said:

"No idea. It just happened one day in the middle of a post, and not being net savvy like the Nomad (plus it's free), I just go with it. I've noticed some other blogs using blogspot that are way high-speed, but I don't know how they do it. I'd like to be able to add links and stuff, but am too lazy to figure out how."

Me, too, Gar (except for the links thingy), and we're both being punished by the blog gods for our laziness. Well, there's nothing quite like punishment for concentrating the mind, so I'm ready to overcome my intellectual indolence and learn.

Can anybody teach me how to fix this problem?

UPDATE: Problem solved, thanks to Baron Bodissey. Now for that drink from my sidebar . . .

5 Comments:

At 5:25 AM, Blogger Baron Bodissey said...

Yes, I can solve it for you.

Your template specifies a width of 740 pixels for your blog, with 485 for your "main" and 240 for your "sidebar", leaving 15 for the border between. Your "main" is OK. However, in the "Links" section of your sidebar you have "Parallel Hebrew/Transliteration/Latin/English". Of this, "Hebrew/Transliteration/Latin/English" is considered one word and can't be wrapped. Therefore, the sidebar is widened to 265 pixels to accomodate. This (plus the border) exceeds the width of the blog, so the sidebar is pushed down below.

Chances are you just added the new link to your blogroll.

Solution? Add spaces, e.g. "Hebrew / Transliteration / Latin / English"; then the line will fold.

Free diagnostic service courtesy of Natural Intelligence ©2005.

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Many thanks, Baron! That was quick and painless.

You were right about my having recently added this new link.

Next question: How do I get some of that natural intelligence that you've got?

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Baron Bodissey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Baron Bodissey said...

Well, first you have to have a misspent youth, and then drink beer instead of studying. After that, it takes a lot of luck...

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Misspent youth? Beer drinking?

That sounds like the good baron himself.

But he eventually exceeded everybody's expectations.

After that, nobody else could measure up . . . and we got WWI.

So, be careful, Baron, what you achieve.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home