Thursday, October 06, 2005

German precision engineering...

. . . of language about religion.

As promised, I attended Reiner Wimmer's lecture on "Reasonability and Believability of Monotheistic Religiosity," or more accurately:

"Vernuenftigkeit und Glaubwuerdigkeit monotheistischer Religiositaet"

Wimmer displayed the typical and therefore expected German seriousness about the subject at hand, and I like that about the Germans, but I'd come down with an ever-worsening case of the flu, so my brain wasn't up to the task of processing Wimmer's arguments.

Fortunately, he provided a handout with his lecture, so I'll read it at my leisure (i.e., never). For now, I can only provide a fragment to whet your appetite or sate you completely. Wimmer says that if we look at the religious orientation toward the reality forming the basis of the three main monotheisitic religions, then we see that:

Sie ist eine Einstellung, die sich nicht primaer und unmittelbar auf einzelne Situationen im Leben, in der Welt, sondern primaer und unmittelbar auf das eigene Leben im ganzen, die eigene Welt, die eigene Person als ganze bezieht, aber damit natuerlich, wenn auch indirekt, auf alles enzelne im Leben und in der Welt. Weil sich diese Einstellung auf das Ganze des Lebens, der Welt bezieht, nenne ich sie eine 'religioese' Einstellung zur Welt und zum Leben, wobei 'Welt' und 'Leben', 'meine Welt' und 'mein Leben' sowie 'die Welt' und 'das Leben' in diesem Zusammenhang als Synonyma zu verstehen sind. Somit werden diese Ausdruecke nicht individualistisch, sondern ganzheitlich und allumfassend verstanden. Sie sind keine Praedikatoren, weil sie, sich auf das ganze Dasein eines Menschen beziehend, nicht zu Zwecken des Beschreibens und Unterscheidens benutzt werden koennen.

And so wider. Do I understand this? The German? Yes. The philosophy? Not yet. I need to read the whole article. Will I do this? Maybe, when I recover and if I have time.

Sorry, Bill.

1 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Bill, sorry to hear that your connection failed. I've never had that specific problem, and I hope that my luck holds. I suppose that I should type on a document first, then transfer it to my blog -- except that doing so takes a bit of extra labor.

I suspect that I'd disagree with Dr. Wimmer, but I can't say for certain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home