Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas

Time for most of you on the slow, lagging side of the International Date Line to read that bedtime story, "The Night Before Christmas."

As for me, I got up so early this Seoul Christmas morning that I actually encountered old St. Nick himself squeezing his round body through the tiny exhaust pipe that sticks out the window from our clothes dryer!

I lied. We don't have a clothes dryer . . . though we surely could use one for Christmas.

But I swear that I did get up early enough to catch Santa flying off from Seoul! Moreover:

. . . I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night."

A very merry Christmas from Gypsy Scholar.

7 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, Blogger Kate Marie said...

And a very merry Christmas to you and yours!

We'll be reading that poem to the kids tonight...

Kate "No-Doctorate-Poetry-Posting-Fundie-Catholic" Marie

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Kate Marie, and may you resolve your identity crisis in the new year!

 
At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's well and truly over here - 2am Boxing morning but we're ahead of everyone - so Happy Christmas and have a wonderful holiday Gypsy Jeff and gang.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Ah yes, Boxing Day, that inexplicable British holiday established in honor of St. Pugnacious.

Perhaps I should blog on it.

Steph, I hope that you had a wonderful Christmas and that you'll have a safe Boxing Day.

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should. I was preparing my list of people to go out and punch after lunch today.

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Berlinbound said...

I left my copy in New York, where until October 31 we lived in an 1840 brownstone with a view to the other old houses in our neighborhood. On my son's first chirstmas in 2005, I read it to him each night during the month of December ... It seemed so appropritate, in that setting, only a few blocks from the house in which it was written.

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Berlinbound, you must know the entire poem by heart if you read it to your son every night!

I used to know it by heart myself back when I was a kid, but that mastery has slipped away with the years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home