Saturday, May 20, 2006

"Green-eyed lady, lovely lady..."

Sugarloaf, Greers Ferry, Arkansas
(Borrowed from thomas23's photostream)

In 1971, I bought one of those small, portable radios that ran on radio waves, so it didn't need batteries, and that was its main attraction since I was dirt poor.

It was only about 5 inches long and wide, was tuned by turning a big dial that covered its front, and was dependent for power on a long wire ending in an alligator clip that had to be attached to a large piece of metal. The electromagnetic radiation pulsing through that metal would set up corresponding waves in the wire that would eventually reach the earplug and be transformed into music.

That little radio was, literally, powered by the music.

I found that if I attached the clip to my bed's heavy old iron bedstead, I'd get the best reception. Lying on my bed in the dark, an oversized earplug squeezed into my ear, I'd listen to the world beaming in from beyond the Ozarks.

One night, I heard Sugarloaf play Green-Eyed Lady:
Green-eyed lady, lovely lady
Strolling slowly towards the sun.
Green-eyed lady, ocean lady
Soothing every ragin' wave that comes.
Green-eyed lady, passions' lady,
Dressed in love
She lives for life to be.
Green-eyed lady feels life I never see,
Setting suns and lonely lovers free.

Green-eyed lady, wind swept lady
Rules the night, the waves, the sand.
Green-eyed lady, ocean lady
Child of nature, friend of man.
Green-eyed lady, passions' lady,
Dressed in love
She lives for life to be.
Green-eyed lady feels life I never see,
Setting suns and lonely lovers free.
I listened and felt, with mysteriously overwhelming familiarity, a profound longing for something that I'd never experienced ... love for a green-eyed lady strolling at sunset down a long beach...

Gypsy that I am, I followed those beckoning waves, and have heard the mermaids singing ... each to each.

6 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

That IS a beautiful song. I know I sound like an old fogey when I say they don't write them like that any more, but it's true. It's so hard to find an intelligent, well-written song. Many of the songs then really were evocative and could paint marvellous pictures in your head.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I've been trying to find where the song plays on the internet. I found a website once over a year ago but on this fine morning couldn't locate any site playing it.

Oddly, "Green-Eyed Lady" is the only great song that Sugarloaf sang ... in my arrogant opinion.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a really beautiful post, Jeffery.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Really? Well, thank you, Nathan. I suppose that all beauty here is actually due to the "Green-Eyed Lady" of the song ... and she doesn't exist.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Jeffery it was a "one hit wonder" by Sugarloaf so you are not alone in your opinion. :)

"Green-Eyed Lady" (which I shortened to GEL) has been my net name for a few years but I found there are others with that name, too. I chose it mainly for this song, but there are other reasons I haven't divulged yet on my blog.

Someone visited my blog and then posted a "U-tube" video and song of this. I'll try to track that down for you.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Gel, thanks, I would like to have the link. By the way, is "GEL" with a hard "G" or a soft "G"?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home