Monday, November 13, 2006

Commendable Contranarcissism

Kazakh Tubeteika
Not quite my cap...
(Image from Wikipedia)

I see that the hero of yesterday's blog entry, Scott Nokes, has possibly been frightened away from this blog by the apotropaic mechanism of his very own image:
I have to admit, that big, centered picture of me on Gypsy Scholar is a little scary. Even I'm intimidated!
This contranarcissistic impulse on Scott's part is not only commendable but would have saved the world a lot of woe if only Milton's Eve had evinced a similar reaction to her own reflection in Paradise Lost:
As I bent down to look, just opposite,
A Shape within the watry gleam appeard
Bending to look on me, I started back,
It started back, but pleas'd I soon returnd,
Pleas'd it returnd as soon with answering looks
Of sympathie and love; there I had fixt
Mine eyes till now, and pin'd with vain desire... (PL 4.460-466)
Actually, I hope that Scott returns and continues to post, on his own blog, nice messages about me and my attire:
Of special interest to the blogosphere is Jeffery Hodges, whose site Gypsy Scholar I read every day. Jeffery is a very nice guy with a very nice hat, for those who are wondering. In fact, I urge him to post an image of said hat post haste, so that the world may wonder at it!
I doff my 'hat' at these words, Scott ... but it ain't a hat. It's a cap. I direct your eyes to a previous post here at Gypsy Scholar where I -- with an "olde curteisye" worthy of Sir Gawain ("Squire's Tale" line 95) -- make clear the essential distinction between homely hats and comely caps.

And with that, due to a very busy day, I regretfully take my leave of you all until tomorrow.

6 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Blogger Dr. Richard Scott Nokes said...

Thank you for your nice post and the nice image of a nice cap, even though it is a different nice cap than the nice cap which I saw nicely sitting upon your nice head.

Nice.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Nicely said.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger A.H. said...

"contranarcissism" is a nice word: full of charming echoes across the pool of language.

 
At 2:28 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

What a very nice cap. It makes me yearn for the days that it was fashionable to wear hats. My grandmother had the most beautiful assortment! My mother still wears them on Sundays, along with some of her friends. Do you wear the hat often?

 
At 3:12 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Eshuneutics, thanks for the nice compliment on my nice word.

We're all being so nice to each other.

Contranarcissistic, even.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 3:14 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Saur, I wear my cap every day, so it's wearing out, and I need to get some new ones.

People ask me if it has any meaning, and I tell them "Yes, it protects my head from cold, from heat, and from ridicule."

For some odd reason, that always triggers a double-take.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home