Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Arkansas Ozark Trip Imminent!

No Mere Bluff

Only one more day until we take off for the Arkansas Ozarks, where we'll be seeing images like the one above . . . though not quite so green this time of year.

I've borrowed this image from among the wonderful photographs offered by 'Daddio' over at the website dedicated to Exploring Izard County. This one shows a bluff from the first lookout point in the Sylamore Hills along the road from Melbourne to the White River on the way toward Mountain View.

As I've previously mentioned, I repeatedly cranked my bicycle along that road in the Sylamore Hills during the summer of my 19th year, when I was training myself for a several-hundred-mile bike trip from Tahlequah, Oklahoma to Waco, Texas.

I was certifiably crazy back then, and a little bit wild.

Since those days, I've settled down a lot, so I don't take physical risks, just intellectual ones, but I still love hiking, and I hope that the weather is fine this coming Sunday when we join Daddio, his family, and some friends for a hike though Ozark woodlands with many scenic spots even better than the one above.

I'll post again tomorrow morning before leaving, but after that, blogging will be light...

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

At 6:05 AM, Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

Forecast: 50s and a bit of wind on Sunday.

Perfect for a hike!

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

That sounds great. I hope the forecast holds.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Kate Marie said...

Have a great trip, Hodges family!

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, KM.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An early welcome home Jeff

-Pat

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Pat.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great homecoming, and let's hope the weather cooperates. We had a high of 67 degrees today, and it felt balmy.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

A high of 67! I can only hope.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Safe travels! Hope you have a great time.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

¡Vaya con Dios!

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Charles. I'm sure that I will.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, CIV. Like Anne Lamott, I appreciate the traveling mercies.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Safe travels! Your kids are going to have quite the experience seeing where you grew up.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Jeff. Both kids are very excited.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff:
I just finished my morning Gypsy Scholar reading after shoveling deep Kansas snow, again. As a note, the long term Arkansas Ozark forecast sounds decent, following last evening's rash of tornadoes that smacked Gassville, Mountain View, Ash Flat and other Arkansas cities.
I'll see you and family and other kinfolk on Saturday if Kansas snow drifts allow my exit to the beloved hills.
Have a good trip home.
Bill

 
At 3:17 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Hillbilly Bill, thanks for the weather report.

I was wondering if any of the tornados had struck close to home. Ash Flat answers that -- a bit too close for comfort.

See you soon.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 3:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all want you home. Take all due care.

http://www.baxterbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

HD

 
At 4:36 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Herschel. The address that you posted got broken, but I've recovered it for those who wish to read of the tornado that hit Gassville, Arkansas.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home