Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ozarks: Gearing Up to Leave

We're leaving the Ozarks for Memphis this morning, scheduled to fly out tomorrow morning, so I might not be blogging again until we reach Seoul, in a couple of days.

We're taking off earlier today than previously planned because an ice-and-snow storm may be on the way, and we certainly don't want to get caught on the road.

As I've already remarked, the weather has been weird here since the time that we arrived, and even weirder if the two days prior to our arrival are included. Work crews are still cleaning up debris from those tornadoes' destruction.

And yesterday morning, we awoke to snow! I only noticed it after I'd finished blogging because the sun was not yet up, so I didn't report the snowfall at the time. Most of the two or three inches had burned off by midday, which was good, for we drove to Mountain Home last night to treat my brother John and his wife Sandy to dinner at a restaurant there.

We crossed the beautiful Lake Norfork on the 'new' bridge, which had replaced the ferry that I was accustomed to using back in the old days. In the summer of 75, I was working at Baxter Labs, a factory that assembled intravenous devices and other medical equipment, and with the hot-weather tourists visiting the lake, I sometimes had to wait in the ferry line of cars for two hours or more, each way, to get to and from work. I used that time in line for sleeping because I was on the graveyard shift, earning some money before heading off to my freshman year at Baylor.

That's how I got my start.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 10:55 PM, Blogger Hathor said...

You will be back before five.

Have a safe trip.

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Before five on which day?

Thanks for the travel mercies.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 3:55 AM, Blogger Malcolm Pollack said...

Safe home, Jeff.

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Jeff:
I can only imagine the emotions you felt leaving "home" for home this morning.
You treated your family to a busy and enjoyable visit to the Ozarks. I'm sure children Sa-Rah, En-Uk and wife Sun-Ae have some great memories and perhaps additional stories not included in your writings the past two weeks.
I enjoyed my visit with you all and other family members, and hope we don't have to wait decades to visit again.
Cuz Bill

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Safe travels!

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Malcolm and Jeff. I have arrived safely and am once again seated at my good old, non-hillbilly computer.

Bill, leaving was not easy, especially knowing the rush of preparations that await me here in Seoul. I enjoyed seeing you again after 40 years, and also hope not to wait so long till our next meeting though I do hope that we live so long and carry many more stories to tell.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home