Friday, December 19, 2008

Poetry Break: "Paradise Hoped"

Adam and Eve
Franz von Stuck (1863-1928)
German Symbolist Painter
(Image from Uzi Dornai)

Yesterday, I promised to "post another poet's different interpretation of the expulsion" from the Garden of Eden that one reads in Milton's Paradise Lost. I suppose that today's poem keeps that promise . . . but not in the way that I'd anticipated.

In short, I'm posting my own poem, an aesthetic response that I composed yesterday to A.D. Hope's poem "Paradise Saved" -- which you'll need to read first to understand my poem:
Paradise Hoped
In minus four-oh-oh-and-four A.D.
Declinéd Man to eat with gracious Eve,
So beateth hope eternal to deceive
The Man for not partaking of that tree
From pride that goeth ever toward a fall
That cometh not in manly Paradise:
Adam and Eve were but a pair of dice
That came up snake eyes, even to appall.

Odd then that Eve receive a help to meet
Her all forlorn upon the dusty ground,
While Adam, wedded not to other Eve,
Forever hopeless hope-filled breast to beat
In loving dirge to love with mournful sound:
"Woman," whose woe he clove but could not cleave.
Such was my response to Hope's hopeless poem -- hopeless for Adam . . . and differently hopeless for Eve.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 12:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are neat poems you have been posting, nephew. They have beautiful lines, and provocative themes. I like yours especially.
Therefore, let us enjoy their beauty, blissfully ignoring the record of the events found in Genesis 2:21-4:2.
Cran

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

These are merely counterfactual speculations in poetic form, Uncle Cran, but I'm happy that you like mine -- which, of course, requires A.D. Hope's poem to be understood.

This reminds me that I have promised to post another, also counterfactual story of the Fall.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I certaintly hope you don't think my honest, true and trustworthy tales are merely counterfactual speculations in prose form.
Cran

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Uncle Cran, I don't doubt that each of your "honest, true and trustworthy tales" is "honest, true and trustworthy" . . . unlike those dishonest, untrue, and untrustworthy stories that you sometimes ask me to post.

I suppose that "certaintly" was a Freudian slip: "cer-taint-ly" or "cert-aint-ly"?

When's the next one coming, by the way?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The timing for my next tale is certain(t)ly uncertain, as I am waiting for other favorite nephew, whom I shall call "Bill," who is planning to post another, hopefully not counterfactual speculations in prose form.
........Would that make such fiction, or worse, false?.....or even worse, a fabrication, commonly denoted by the "L" word?
Cran

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I believe that it's what the French call a "duck" -- and one should duck if caught in a canard.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home