Saturday, November 26, 2011

Frozen Ozark Waterfall

Photo by Tim Ernst
Available at Tim Ernst Poster Prints

Ozark weather must be turning cold, at least in pockets of higher altitude in the Boston Mountain region if this image above photographed and posted by Tim Ernst can be believed, and I believe it can since he doesn't do photoshopping. Note the blue glow at the top of the frozen falls. This indicates light from above refracting down through the ice. My use of "waterfall" and "falls" is perhaps not quite correct since this can't be much of a drop, not more than a few feet, I estimate. Your judgment may differ (and should differ, as I now learn from Cousin Bill, for this falls has a twenty-five-foot drop, roughly eight meters!). Anyway, I post it this cold morning in Seoul because I'm feeling a bit homesick . . . as the video to these lyrics will reveal if you click on the title:
Ozark Mountain Jubilee
Recorded by the Oak Ridge Boys
Written by Scott Anders and Roger Murrah

I hear the rooster crowing
It's a frosty morning
I can almost see the sign
Going so fast I can't stop
I'm just a stone's throw from Little Rock
Heading for the Missouri line

Don't need a map to get there
You can get there from anywhere
When you're going in your head
I can see the arms outreaching
Just like the day I was leaving
It's been oh so many years

Let me get on the Frisco Silver Dollar Line
Take my time
And see all I can see
Fiddler rosin up your bow
We'll have our own
Ozark Mountain Jubilee

If I can't be a favorite son
I'll be the prodigal one
Cause I been gone too long
Oh how the years have flown by
Oh how I realize
How much of me is gone

Let me get on the Frisco Silver Dollar Line
Take my time
And see all I can see
Fiddler rosin up your bow
We'll have our own
Ozark Mountain Jubilee

Ozark Mountain Jubilee . . .

Nostalgia, I suppose, is the label to apply to these feelings, but I try not to be self-indulgent. I just want to remind myself of where I come from . . .

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 7:18 AM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

I took the liberty of linking to this photo, as I had done with the previous Ozark landscape, from an Italian website which includes a column called "The photo of the week". The first one was much appreciated, in fact; on that occasion, they asked whether the picture had been Photoshopped. I answered no -- isn't it?

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

No, never photoshopped. Tim Ernst makes photos for real. You should probably link directly to his site. I'm just a middleman.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

OK!

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Good.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff,
That photo was a December ’10 “Print of the Month”. Fortunately, Newton County (as here) hasn’t seen any weather this season that’d recreate the frozen splendor in that photograph. Glory Hole Falls is roughly 25 ft. I’ve hiked to that falls (and others) in an attempt to duplicate Tim’s renderings. Usually I’m rewarded by the sight of trickling water, a couple of ticks, a few blisters and a helluva lot of sweat. I’ve came to a conclusion he’s the expert, and I’d be money ahead with a purchase of a couple of Ernst photo books rather than making futile attempts to duplicate his work.
Bill

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Cousin Bill, thanks for the detailed information. I'll definitely edit the entry to add the dimensions.

Your comment will serve to provide the rest of the correct information.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

Beautiful shot. Makes me wonder what Tan Trough would look like in sub-zero weather. Hmmm...

 
At 3:45 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Get down there this Christmas and take some photos. I'd accept those as your Christmas present to me this year.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home