Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Cusqueña: Five Bottles for 10,000 Won at Home plus

Cusqueña

At home, and only after exercise, I drink a beer or two for refreshment, and to save money, my wife had been buying cheap Korean beer -- though only the best, Max -- but I recently grew tired of that and made a deal to imbibe water after exercise weekdays and enjoy a better beer on weekends, so this past Friday, she brought home five bottles of a Peruvian lager called Cusqueña, which she'd gotten on sale at Home plus for only 10,000 won!

The brew isn't a great beer, but at 2,000 won per bottle, it's a good deal -- so long as the sale lasts.

It tastes a lot better than Max, if not quite good -- a bit too malty, not enough hops, and only an ephemeral head -- but it has a beautiful website as well as a touch of artistry in the bottle's design, with a stonemasony texture intended to represent the Incan use of stone for building, and it pours to a honey-colored, somewhat amber appearance, also sort of nice. Its Ratebeer weighted rating, however, is only 2.02, rather below average, and compared to non-Korean beers, I have to agree.

If only it were a Shoggoth's Old Peculiar . . .

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 3:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What!?! They do not sell six-packs in Korea? I guess for under $2 a bottle for an import it was worth a try. I have never had this particular beer, but I make it a point to try local flavors, domestic or abroad, as often as I can. Went into a bodega in New York City once and bought eight bottles of beer from eight different countries. All were interesting except for the Russian brew, which rose to a whole new level of "skunk"! It was the only one I could not finish. Cannot say I miss the days when we felt Olympia and Coors were great. Go to the brewhouse and lift one for me.

Jay

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Korean stores do sell sixpacks, but the sale was for five, so I received five bottles in a sixpack carton and lamented the absent bottle . . .

I wonder if Russian beer has improved since your experience.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually I told this to a Russian friend from work and he gave me some other Russian beer which was much better. I do not remember the name, but it was dark and malty with a great head. It would be an acquired taste to have it often, but was a nice alternative to my normal fare.

Jay

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I'd be happy to try one of those.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home