Thursday, September 05, 2013

A Kitty Named "Scat"

Scat

On Sunday, we were 'blessed' with a new cat. I had just finished my workout and was settling down with a Carlsberg beer and the New York Times, when my son came and informed me that a cat was caught in some bushes. I replied that I doubted the cat was actually caught. En-Uk then explained that the cat was a kitten and was crying to get out. I decided to go check, and I found the kitty pictured above. It was not trapped but frightened, and I could see that it had been a pet discarded. I reached down for it, and it came to my hand, so we brought it home, where we fed and washed it.

I told my son that because we already have two cats (Goya and Angi), we would have to give the tiny kitten to the Humane Society, or the Korean equivalent. En-Uk didn't protest, but his face said no. He called his big sister, Sa-Rah, who rushed home to play with the new feline, and I saw that we had a problem. I left a note for my wife -- who would be returning late in the evening from a meeting -- to explain the rescue and suggest that she call the Korean humane society the next day, Monday.

By Monday, the kids were in revolt over the kit, and my wife discovered that the animal rescuers won't rescue a rescued animal. We were stuck with the beast.

Tuesday, the kids were brainstorming about names. I insisted on "Scat." They didn't know what "scat" meant. En-Uk checked his smartphone dictionary, looked up, and asked, "poo"? I admitted that meaning as well, but told him to keep checking. He soon figured out the intended meaning.

"This way," I told the kids, "every time we call the kitty, we'll be ordering it to 'Run Away!' Eventually, it might get the message."

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 5:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Eventually it might get the message."

It was not trapped but frightened, and could see that it had been a pet discarded.

That is one observant cat.

I think.

JK

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, I've corrected.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scat!

Shoulda left it alone until at least Cran came visiting.

Well, at least you didn't (yet) delete my comment[s].

JK

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Uncle Cran will surely comment on my sin of ommission.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have heard preachers speak of the sins of omission and of commission.

That isn't my problem.
My question is, "Why does one word have two m's, and the other only one?" If in one, why not both?"

Perhaps JK can enlighten me.

Cran

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I guess that was a sin of 'comission.'

I typed without my glasses, which shouldn't do since my right hand is prone to error.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 4:35 AM, Blogger bibnida said...

The do not rescue rescued animals. Ha, that's how they gitcha'. (All these places run some kind of racket!)

 
At 4:36 AM, Blogger bibnida said...

*They

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I think they have some sort of understanding with the feline world . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home