Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Bottomless Bottle of Beer Reading

I gave my reading yesterday evening to a small but friendly audience of about 25 people. More students might have come, but I had some unexpected competition: Running Man. SBS was filming the show on Ewha's campus and even in the ECC itself, and since the show's regulars are celebrities, a large crowd of students were gathered in our building to see the popular comedian Yoo Jae-suk compete with his fellow celebrities to avoid capture while seeking some quested treasure. Ironically, and much to my dismay, the show's filming was slated for precisely the same time as my reading! But the shows must go on . . .

My wife Sun-Ae took the photos and first caught me approaching the Lounge:


She next photographed me waiting for people to arrive:


Then came a photo of me preparing:


And chatting with early arrivals:


Finally, the reading itself . . . while looking down, apparently around the beginning since that slide's the book cover:


Still reading . . . reciting, while looking up:


After that photo, Sun-Ae relaxed and enjoyed the performance. She says I read well, and since she's my best critic, she must be right, but I'll wait until I see the video to judge for myself, and if that recording is good enough, we'll put it on YouTube for all interested to see.

Until then, thanks for the interest . . .

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

I'm sorry I didn't make it to this. Glad to hear the audience was friendly.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

When I finished, there was utter silence, which I interpreted as non-hostility . . . therefore friendliness.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Sperwer said...

Sorry i missed it because of Daddy-duty

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Well, you had the first reading anyway.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

I am looking forward to the video. Was there much discussion after the reading?

 
At 3:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad the reading went well even if the audience was not as large as hoped for. Happy Thanksgiving from the Ozarks!!

Jay

 
At 3:36 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Carter, there were a couple of questions. I'll have to ask about the video's availability.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Jay. As you know better than I, the show must go on!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff, glad to hear your reading went well. Twenty-five, in this increasingly reading-resistant age, that's not too bad! Leigh and I went to a reading in Boulder (at Boulder Bookstore, fine venerable indie) of a professor of Ben's who had a new non-fiction book out, and, I'm not making this up, we were it. Nobody else except for his girlfriend who was along for the tour regardless. I felt for him (I'd met him in Iowa, very nice guy and a major Ben-booster), but, I was also awfully glad we decided to make it at least. I just finished Dave Eggers' "The Circle", and I tell you, I do believe that's the hand-basket we're headed for in this interesting age of ours. Anyhow, will you do some more readings of "The Beer" do you think? Pete

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

More readings? Only if there's an overwhelming groundswell of support.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger Terrance Lindall said...

Dear Jeffery:

What a great voice, added to all of your other great qualities...great writer, great analytic thinker and on and on!

I am very glad to have worked with you on this. I believe that if we keep plugging it we will see it become more and more popular over time and it will end up being required reading in English literature. Terrance

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Terrance -- you are referring, of course, to the video recording, which I sent you.

The rest of my readers can now also watch the video on You Tube via this link.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home