Friday, January 24, 2014

Small World . . . In Fact, Tiny

The Running Man
Artschwager
Whitewall

Some readers may recall my friendship with Richard Artschwager's daughter, Eva. Yesterday, in one of the many art newsletters I receive (courtesy of Terrance Lindall), came an art critic's piece on some of Artschwager's late works, such as the above image, and I learned that he had died last year -- rest in peace, sir -- and I also checked to see the name of the art critic, discovering thereby a woman named Sóla Agustsson:


Ms. Agustsson is described as:
. . . a writer and graduate student in English Literature at Brooklyn College. She has contributed to Whitewall, Artlog, Flaunt and Zink Magazine. Excerpts from her upcoming novel have appeared in Konch Magazine and A Wild Feeling. She was short-listed for the San Francisco Foundation's Phelan Award for her work in fiction in 2013. She graduated from UC Berkeley in 2010.
Novelist? Berkeley? Interesting . . . so I looked for her writing online, and found this: Chapter 3 of Pretend I'm Jesus. This chapter of her novel appeared in Konch Magazine (August 2013), a literary magazine founded by Ishmael Reed:


Like I said . . . small world . . . with strange loops . . .

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:30 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

After reading Chapter Three I am astonished. In response to this brave new voice, I can only say, "Bravo" and "Bravo again."

Yes, and I am beginning to sound the profound recesses of what Mr. Reed means with his intriguing notion of the "hard manual labor of the imagination."

We live in a great age for literature, Jeffery!

 
At 4:07 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Unfortunately, I belong to a different age.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home