Thursday, February 20, 2014

Uncle Cran's Follow-Up Farm Report

Ozark Frozen Pond
Google Images

Uncle Cran has good news -- winter is over in the Ozarks! He no longer has to break the ice on the pond . . . though I don't believe that he uses the above technique of stomping holes through! That would be like sawing off the limb on which you sit . . . or cutting off your nose to spite your face! Uncle Cran's too smart for that, and here's his follow-up farm report to prove it:
Last Thursday was the last time I have had to cut ice. The nights get into the low 30's, the days into the 40's and 50's,and today it is 64, tomorrow the same, with rain Thursday night. This would be the time we would have planted our early garden[, as] I mentioned recently. The geese have been going north for three weeks, and increasing in numbers each week. Winter isn't over, but usually there will be a warm cycle around the middle of the month with a window of opportunity to plant things, then others each spring month. We don't put out much of a garden now, just a few things in April and May. But when I was growing up, we lived out of our garden vegetables and "truck patch" . . . of corn, potatoes, pumpkins, melons and climbing beans, then turnips in the fall. Now we do most of our gardening at Wal Mart.
Those were the days . . . but you can't stop progressing through life, I guess. I do miss watching the geese flying in their v-formed skeins high overhead, so distant up there in the heavens, you could scarcely hear their gaggles' faint honking.

But I'm a city boy now, here in the Seoul of Asia . . .

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The geese are indeed flying north again. Driving back from Kansas City two weeks ago my wife and I saw the largest formation of geese I have ever seen. There must have been close to a thousand in multiple "V" formations. It was guite the sight. Also I spotted a Robin yesterday so Spring has to be close.

Jay

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

But if you see a Batman, you'll know that the dark night is upon us . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home