Saturday, April 05, 2014

Interview at the Asan Institute


I was interviewed yesterday at the Asan Institute for a position as editor in charge of their English publications. A couple of good scholars whose papers I've edited recommended me on the basis of my editing skills. I have the rare combination of wide-ranging knowledge, writing ability, attentiveness to detail, and years of experience. The job probably could have been mine for the taking . . . but I lack administrative skills, and I know it. I'm not a people person and just wouldn't be good at directing personnel. I told them the truth, so they appreciated my honesty and seemed to like me anyway. They asked if I knew anybody I could recommend. I reflected but couldn't think of anyone with my combination of abilities, not even to mention the skills that I lack, so I told them that, unfortunately, I didn't know anyone. Handshakes all around, and I left.

Any of you out there with all of the relevant skills might want to look into the Asan position . . .

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The job probably could have been mine for the taking . . . but I lack administrative skills, and I know it. I'm not a people person and just wouldn't be good at directing personnel.

If the job interested you Jeff, call 'em up and tell 'em you'll be back tomorrow.

You'll have graduated JK's School of Administrative Skills.

Generally, anyone happening by the post you applied for wouldn't be bothered much by persons with "original intent." 90% of the time those happening by your desk would be "in some disagreement" with the instructions given by one of your subordinates - usually requesting some sort of qualifying instruction - meaning, the person querying you is looking to get out of whatever your subordinate on the foodchain ordered.

The "Effective Administrator" needs vocalize nothing. Simply raise, palm down whatever the querying party recognizes as your dominate hand - if the Effective Administrator writes with the right hand - that's the dominant hand to use generally speaking.

Tilt the hand slightly so the thumb is slightly raised - waggle the index and next in line finger without moving the ring and the little finger of the dominant hand.

This conveys, "Do what he/she said, Can't you see "the Effective Administrator" is concentrating on more important stuff?"

If Step 1 isn't immediately effective ask, "Reckon (you) Queryer can figure out how to flip burgers at McDonald's without pestering me?"

If Step 2 isn't immediately effective state emphatically, "Clean off your desk and when McDonald's signs state, 'Over One Zillion Sold' - send me a Quarterpounder with cheese and hold the pickles."

I get paid pretty good for my schooling Would-Be Administrators here in the States Jeff - thank your lucky stars you live close to Kim Chung Eun.

JK

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

If only I'd known these things yesterday . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous libertybelle said...

I think you'd be a fantastic editor, Jeffery. Every time you post writing advice, I print it out and refer to it often.

Here's my half-cent's worth. Being an effective administrator is the same as being a good leader. Be fair and consistent. Set clear goals and expectations. Give concise directions, with clearly articulated timelines for completion and follow-up. Repeat, as necessary.

My main failing when I first supervised people was delegation - I did too much of the work myself and didn't hold my folks accountable for not completing tasks. It's a learning curve and you're so talented at writing and editing that they'll be hard-pressed to find a better candidate.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Belle, for the kind words. If I were 40 instead of 57 (and aging fast!), I'd perhaps take the job.

I've thought of someone more qualified and have recommended him.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home