Saturday, July 12, 2014

Completely Disrobed Hominid?

Andong Mummy
Plos One

One of my EWIS students is an expert in forensic anatomy, and she inadvertently provided sufficient information for me to track down a paper that she co-wrote with other anatomical experts:
"Radiological Diagnosis of Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia in 17th Century Korean Mummy"
I looked for a thesis statement, of course, which is usually placed at the end of the introduction, and found this penultimate sentence:
Most recently, in the course of a routine computed tomography (CT) and associated autopsy on a 17th century Korean mummy, we found evidence suggesting that the man might have suffered from CDH.
As I commented to my student in an email:
If only you had gotten to him 400 years earlier, you could have saved his life!
I suggested some Korean ppali-ppali:
Work faster!
And in my ignorance, I asked:
PS What's CDH, anyway -- Completely Dead Human?
My student replied:
Ha-ha-ha That was funny. K-k-k-k . . .

I will let my professor know: "Completely Dead Human"

Actually it is Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia -- the keyword of the paper!
Ah, there it is, in the article's title. Hmmm . . . though it looks like three key words to my eyes, but my eyesight is faulty now that I'm old and approaching my more serious sort of CDH . . .

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home