Thursday, July 10, 2014

Trafika Identified!


I wondered yesterday what "trafika" means, and have since learned by writing to the Trafika Europe website:
My query will seem rather silly . . . but could you tell me what the word "Trafika" means? I blogged on Trafika Europe today:

And I openly speculated on the word because I found no definition anywhere.

Sorry to be a bother!

Best,

Jeffery
I received this answer from a Mr. Andrew Singer in reply:
Greetings Jeffery and thanks for the post on Trafika Europe on your blog. Regarding your question:

The previous project, the print quarterly Trafika, began in Prague. A "trafika" in Czech language is a little kiosk or the like where you can get a little of everything -- daily paper, cigarettes, chewing gum -- part newspaper stand, part corner shop. This is where the name of the project comes from.

Again thanks. Have a nice day!

Andrew
A very friendly reply! I now know the full meaning of the word . . . though I still wonder about its etymology.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 4:25 AM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

Perhaps "trafika" implies something like a "drive-by" convenience store...?

 
At 4:31 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Since composing this blog post, I've found the etymology, and I'll be blogging on the meaning tomorrow.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:54 AM, Anonymous erdal said...

Even more fun: have ever wondered about the etymology of "kiosk"?

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I did look it up once, but I can now only recall that it comes to English from Turkish . . . I think.

I'll look it up again.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home