Saturday, September 27, 2014

More from Byeng-ju Lee Hadong International Literary Festival 2014: Pen Mightier than the Sword

Below are various photos that my wife took this past weekend at the Byeng-ju Lee Hadong International Literary Festival 2014 - to which I was invited to give a talk (as you already know from yesterday's blog entry):


This image inspired today's blog heading: The Pen is Mightier than the Sword - this pen anyway! Here's the man himself - Lee Byeng-ju (aka Yi Byeong-ju, etc.):


Or a close facsimile - life size, but bigger than life! And next a book of his translated by my friend Suh Ji-moon:


Meeting Lu Xinhua, Chinese author of "The Wounded" (aka "The Scar"):


Finally, meeting Yi Munyol (aka Lee Mun-yeol), author of Our Twisted Hero, among other novels:


I also met many more Koreans with creative credits, but I don't have photos at the moment . . .

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

Fantastic that you had the chance to meet Lee Mun-yeol. I read the translated version of Our Twisted Hero back in 2004, and I can see why Lee might have gotten in trouble for the views expressed through that story's subtext (my review—which I barely remember writing—is here).

"Lee Byeng-ju (aka Yi Byeong-ju, etc.)"

Yes: I, too, wondered about that strangely romanized "Byeng," which sounds more Chinese than Korean to my mind's ear. "Byeong" certainly makes more sense, based on the actual hangeul.

Much envy here, given the celebrities you've met.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I think I should get the book and read it.

Envy me all you can - I've learned how insignificant I am with my one short novella . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:28 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Great post!

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Great comment!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

And I meant every word of it!

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I figured you did.

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

When it comes to greatness I never mince words.

(But, when necessary, I am always happy to drop them into a blender.)

 
At 4:42 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Incidentally, which comment was the great one? (And don't make some elusive, illusive allusion to Jackie Gleason!)

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

I enjoyed the pics of you meeting with the writers and having a good time. Maybe "great" is the wrong word. I should have said, "enjoyable."

Or maybe something alluding to a sense of eudaimonia.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Just a test, Carter - my comment was the 'great' one.

But I did have a great time.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home