Sunday, May 31, 2015

Sul Gaeguri (술개구리) - Makgeolli Bar in Seoul


My friend Yang Seung-Tae and I went to the Hongdae area on Friday evening looking for the 'Sul' Frog Makgeolli Bar and trying to hit on a proper translation of "Sul" in the context of the bar's full name, "Sul Gaeguri" (술개구리).

I suggested "Drinking Frog," "Drunken Frog," even "Alcoholic Frog," but I now think that the Makgeolli Mamas and Papas nailed it: "Booze Frog"!

I hadn't especially looked forward to a makgeolli bar, even telling Seung-Tae that drinking rice beer is pushing the envelope as far as I'm concerned.

But this bar was great! We drank three different types of makgeolli to go with our conversation, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I woke up late Saturday morning, however, and had a lot of editing and apartment-cleaning to do, thus explaining why this report is so short.

For more on Booze Frog, go to Makgeolli Mamas and Papas, from whom I borrowed the picture above, for that's the terrace table where Seung-Tae and I sat.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Glad to here your getting some Sul (or is that "Seoul"?) food way out there in Korea. Keep'n it real, Jeffery!

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Well, what do you know!

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Well, well, I'll be. (But "sul" means "alcohol.")

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home