Friday, October 16, 2015

Matthew Charles Miller: Musician


My half-brother Matthew Miller plays his own brand of spiritually inspired outlaw country music, and it's pretty good! He gave me a CD of his recent songs, the album titled Split Decision, a pun on his divorce, and these songs are really good. But he hasn't yet set up a website where you can purchase his music, though he does have a Facebook site, so I don't know how you can hear his songs. There may be some videos on YouTube or his Facebook site if you poke around.

But I've even given him permission to use my own perfect country song, which you all, of course, remember:
Day Breakin'
Oh, all night, I been out drankin',
now mah head's as thick as clay,
So I 'spec' mah woman's waitin'
with some high-tone words tuh say,
But I'd need uhn extra drank
tuh help me face that judgement day!
--an' another shot uh whiskey
jus' might warsh mah sins away.

Oh, the mornin' light is growin',
but mah head fades more like dusk,
An' mah wife could blast mah lies
away like wind'll blast a husk,
Yeh, the judgement that's a-waitin'
can be swift an' sure an' brusque
--so, jus' one more shot uh whiskey,
save mah soul from gettin' cussed.

Oh, the crack uh dawn is creakin'
an' mah min' could crack in two
At the thought uh whut that scornful
woman's scorchin' speech can do
--She got words as sharp as arrows,
an' she aims each one so true!
--yet uhn extra shot uh whiskey
save me on this rendevous.

Oh, the sun is fully risen,
an' it burns mah eyes like mace,
Hence mah wife is surely wearin'
now her godforsaken face,
So I'll need a further drank
afore I step into that place!
--an' uhn added shot uh whiskey
jus' may brang mah soul tuh grace.

Yeh, all night, I been out drankin,
thus mah head's as thick as clay,
So I 'spec' mah woman's waitin',
got them high-tone words tuh say,
Sure I need that extra drank
tuh help me on this judgement day!
--now, that partin' shot uh whiskey,
may it warsh mah sins away.

Horace Jeffery Hodges
Copyright 1994
He plays this song well, and when he sings it, the song sounds serious as hell . . .

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 2:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your song is very good and I certainly enjoyed your performance of it at our reunion, however; to quote Jerry Jeff Walker, "It is not the perfect country and western song because you do not mention Momma, Trucks, Prisons or Trains"...LOL You did cover the "getting drunk" pretty thoroughly.

Jay

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Let's listen to David Allan Coe's take on Steve Goodman's "Perfect Country and Western Song."

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home