Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Chance Encounter with Student

Victorious Student in Accidental Encounter

I finished my Monday class at 3:15 in the afternoon and hurried to the subway, where I -- to my great astonishment, for I walk fast -- saw a student from that same class board the same car of the same train as I had just boarded.

She was deep in conversation on her smartphone and didn't notice me, so I left her to her business until my transfer station was coming up, when I waved my hand before her face and got her attention. She looked up and appeared greatly surprised to see me.

A few moments later, she was standing beside me, and we both realized that we were transferring at the same station, Wangsimni. Even more surprising, we were to board the same next train, the one on the Jungang line!

To celebrate all these coincidences, my student took a selfie of the two of us, as you see above, now at Wangsimni Station, but just shortly before our train arrived, and we boarded it for the final stretch.

I soon got off at Mangu Station, leaving her on the Jungang line and homeward bound . . .

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 4:50 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Speaking of such coincidences, not more than a year ago a young Korean woman approached me in a New York City subway station asking for help with the subway map. We were going in the same direction, so we got on the next train together, where we had a brief chat. She turned out to be one of your students.

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Ha! You call that coincidence? Ha-ha! I planned that 'chance' meeting of yours with my student, and you fell for it, fell into the web I weave with a design so dark, it seems to lack design . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

Ah, the inevitable "V" sign...

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Ubiquitous.

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 

Post a Comment

<< Home