Monday, May 09, 2016

Picture Perfect?

Horace Jeffery Hodges
By En-Uk Sequoya Hwang, Artist

My younger child, En-Uk - a high-schooler now - wants to be an artist, so he recently sketched me, as you see above, and I think he caught quite well my misanthropic white male gaze - along with a dash of Cherokee.

I told him that my ear looks strange. He said that's what my ear really looks like.

I'd ask him why his name is emerging from my head, but he'd just ask if I'd rather have it emerging from my loins, and no, I suppose I wouldn't want that . . .

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

En-Uk has done a very good job with this. I haven't visited his blog in a few years. His talent has grown tremendously.

If I was casting for a new film of Moby-Dick, I think I would choose you to play one of the mates. With equal force, I see you successfully playing Starbuck, Stubb, or Flask.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

In terms of complexity and subtlety, this is a quantum leap from the stark simplicity of En-Uk's blog art. He's obviously learned a lot about light, shadow, perspective, and negative space. His blog art showed he already had an understanding of motion, energy, and color contrast, and he's built upon that foundation.

So did you pose for this? Did En-Uk work from a photo? If you posed for this, how long did the whole thing take? If it took a while, how did En-Uk deal with changing light conditions as the sun crossed the sky? Does En-Uk have plans to turn this into a painting?

Are you teaching En-Uk how to talk about art in English?

Questions... so many questions...

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Carter, I fear I'm not much of an actor. I'll pass your praise along to En-Uk . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Kevin, En-Uk worked from a photo - Maybe I'll post that!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home