Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Partial Preface to Poems


I mentioned - if memory fail me not - that I'm putting my poems together for publication. Well, my old friend Natalie Macris agreed to supply a preface, and here are some excerpts from what she wrote:
Years ago, my friend Jeff told me he had started to write some poetry. He remembers showing me a few lines and me teasing him about writing "dirty poems," but I recall being more encouraging. We were in our twenties, students at Berkeley - why not dabble in poetry? . . . Not long after that first mention of his poems, Jeff read some of them to me. I don't know much about poetry, I thought, but these seem very good . . . . In what seemed like just a matter of months, Jeff won the university's Roselyn Schneider Eisner Prize in Poetry, and I was watching my friend standing on a stage under a spotlight, reading his work to an auditorium full of people.
Yeah, that's more or less how it happened. When I get the collection arranged and formatted, I'll post the full preface.

Meanwhile, I do have a novella you can read . . .

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

Sounds like a winner! I'll be happy to buy your collection when it's published.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Kevin. The poems I wrote tend to have both rhyme and reason. They'll be widely hated.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

Rhyme and reason?? Okay, screw that. I ain't buyin' nuthin'.

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I suspected you were a Po-Mo all along.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

I've seen the manuscript. This will be an enjoyable volume.

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, I hope you are right.i

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 

Post a Comment

<< Home