Sunday, October 08, 2017

Bodaciously Bold Bird

Kingfisher
Another Sun-Ae Production

As my friends know, I've been hit with the flu and been mostly suffering in bed and therefore been unable to meet obligations. (Hmm . . . I see that "been" is a four-letter word.) Anyway, here's yet another of my wife's birds:

The Kingfisher
Sun-Ae Hwang

This bird can dive underwater to catch its prey, and I'm pretty sure that it has no webbed feet, so it must be using its wings to swim, though I've not seen it doing so.

Does anyone know for sure?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

I think the wings-for-swimming idea is at least plausible, based on the YouTube videos I found and watched. See here:

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

That last vid sounds as though it's being narrated by a young Ewan McGregor. Of the three videos linked above, I think I like the second one the best. The second vid is also the one that shows most clearly a kingfisher performing at least one wingbeat while fully under water. Does a single wingbeat count as "swimming"? Hard to say, but the bird is certainly using its wings to propel itself back out of the water.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Kevin. I think we now have seen evidence that the kingfisher's wings are used in swimming.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home